Shining Stars Summer 2017 Camp
Monday, June 26th - Friday, June 30th, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Hamilton Park in Palatine (1037 N. Smith St, Palatine, IL 60067)
Boys and Girls ages 5 - 10 years old
FREE! - No Cost!
Started in 2015, “Shining Stars” is the brainchild of Rev. Warren Schilf, associate pastor at Immanuel Lutheran Church and School. He wanted to create a camp where children could enjoy baseball and softball as they learn basic skills in a fun, creative, and Christian environment. Though the camp is open to children of all skill levels, it is specifically targeted toward children who have had limited or no organized baseball experience. The centerpiece and differentiator of this camp over and above any other baseball / softball camp is sharing and helping kids grow in Christ Jesus. The camp consisted of 14 participants in it’s inaugural year in 2015, and grew to 51 participants this past summer.
Rev. Warren Schilf is a local baseball product who participated in the 1978 Little League World Series with Palatine South Little League, played for Fremd High School, and later played collegiately for Southern Illinois University – Carbondale a Division 1 school. He has coached many levels of baseball and softball for nearly 20 years in Streamwood & Algonquin, IL and also in Fort Wayne IN.
Past summer camps have been led by a qualified team of adult coaches and high school athletes, providing a great mentoring atmosphere, including:
- Tim Storm - Palatine Youth Baseball & Softball (PYB/S), Palatine Baseball Association (PBA), Palatine Travelers, Palatine Post-Season Coach for over 20 years, and a 2013 Recipient of Palatine Park District Honor Roll Award for Volunteering
- Kevin Nelson - Former Professional AAA Minor League catcher of the Toronto Blue Jays, Philadelphia Phillies, and New York Yankees
- Dennis Sander - Barrington High School Varsity Softball coach and coach of the Barrington American Legion Baseball team.
- Bill Campbell – Former Major League Baseball pitcher and Chicago Cub
- High School Students from Palatine, Fremd, Barrington, Lake Zurich, and Dundee Crown.
More than fifty kids descended on Hamilton Park every morning during the last week of June for “Shining Stars,” a unique baseball/softball experience and 25 volunteers were prepared for them. The camp ran every morning Monday through Friday. The weather was...read more