Members of the American Heritage Girls (AHG) Troop and Trail Life #IL0412 participated in a service project back in August by helping Immanuel Lutheran gear up for its annual Operation Christmas Child project. Immanuel has been collecting shoebox items all year, and there were several things that needed to be done. The Girls and Trailmen tackled the tasks with enthusiasm. They made pencil pouches to make it easier to pack in November at our packing party.
When asked about the National Service Day project, Trephina Bedell, Troop Coordinator and Troop Ministry Liaison, was quick to point out that, ‘It wasn’t just a one shot deal. AHG and Trail Life work on Operation Christmas Child (OCC) projects all year long. They even made their own “how to pack a shoebox” video a couple of years ago in Immanuel’s AV studio. To see them through the years enthusiastically embrace the behind-the-scenes, they are growing in their serving. Their contributions really help propel Immanuel’s OCC efforts.’
Immanuel invites the entire community to participate in those efforts in four ways:
1. Donate! Drop off donations at Immanuel by Thursday, October 31, at 2:00 p.m. Items donated will be used to pack boxes at the Community Packing Party on November 4. See Immanuel’s website for a list of accepted items.
2. Help pack boxes at the Community Packing Party on Monday, November 4, from 6:30-8:00 p.m.!
3. Pack your own box! Pack your own box and we will send it to the OCC processing center. Drop it off next to the collection bin in Fellowship Hall by Friday, November 15.
4. Become a volunteer! Help with the packing party. Please contact Trephina Bedell at email@example.com for more information!
October’s OCC Item of the Month
Before packing day on Monday, November 4, we are still looking for the following items to complete the shoeboxes:
• Soap bars, full-size
• Crayola Crayons (other brands will melt)
• Water bottles, lightweight, reusable
• WOW! Items—”WOW” items surprise and delight a child. Some great items to include are: soccer ball & air pump, a stuffed animal, a doll or a small musical instrument.
Visit http://www.immanuelpalatine.org/operation-christmas-child/ for more information.