ACOLYTE QUICK-REFERENCE GUIDE
Before the Service View Entire Document
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to worship and present yourself to the elders. For special worship services, please arrive 30 minutes prior to worship.
- 8 a.m. service only - - Put on the acolyte alb and cincture –
- You will light the candles 5 minutes prior to the service, during the prelude. Use the lighter found by the candle lighters.
- Hold the candle lighter in front of you tipped slightly forward with the flame pointing ahead of you and the bell of the candle lighter pointing toward you.
- Before lighting the candles, pause to give reverence to the cross and altar by bowing your head and saying a short prayer – for example: “Jesus you are the light of the world. AMEN.”
- Light the seven candles (offices lights) on the altar, starting with the candle closest to the altar. Light the tall Paschal candle at the beginning of the 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. service. Extinguish the tall Paschal candle at the end of the 5:00 p.m. and 10:45 a.m. services.
- After the candles are lit and you blow out the flame, make sure you bow again.
- Take your candle lighter with you to your seat and quietly place it back in the stand.
During the Service
- Participate in the entire service. Follow the service script in the binder on the acolyte chair. In other words, pray the prayers, sing the hymns, and participate in the whole service. You are a leader in worship.
- Pay attention to when the Offering is being brought up. When you see the usher start to walk forward, come to the center of the chancel, accept the offering, turn and bow and place the offerings on the altar. Step back down and bow then return to your seat.
After the Service
On the second to last verse of the hymn, quietly pick up the candle lighter and prepare to walk up to the chancel. Extinguish the tall Paschal candle at the end of the 5:00 p.m. and 10:45 a.m. services.